Happy Donut Day! Why not celebrate by making your own!
3⁄4 Cups Milk
3 Tablespoon Butter, softened
1 Package Instant Yeast (.25 oz.)
3 Tablespoon Warm Water, 100 ̊± 5 ̊
2 1⁄2 Cups Flour (plus additional for rolling)
2 Tablespoon. Sugar
3⁄4 teaspoon Salt
Oil for Frying
- In a small saucepan over medium heat bring milk to a simmer. Remove immediately and let cool to almost room temperature.
- In a small cup dissolve yeast over the warm water and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Using a mixer, add yeast, milk, butter, 1/3 of the flour, egg, sugar and salt. Combine well.
- Add another 1/3 of the flour and mix until the flour is well incorporated.
- Add the remaining flour, then change to the dough hook. Mix on low until the flour is incorporated then use medium speed until the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl and is nice and smooth, Approximately 3 minutes.
- Place dough into a large bowl sprayed with cooking spray, roll once to coat with oil.
- Cover and let rise for 1 hour in a warm area until doubled in size. The oven with the interior light left on works well.
- Dust a work surface with flour and turn out the dough. Roll out to 1⁄2 inch thick. Cut dough out into 3 inch rounds. Cut a 3⁄4 – 1 inch hole out of the center of the rounds. Place on a floured cookie sheet and cover. Let rise an additional 30-45 minutes.
- Heat at least 2 inches of oil in a large heavy high sided pot to 360 ̊. Keep an eye on the temperature and work in small batches.
- Place doughnuts into the oil and let fry for 30 seconds on each side. Remove and place on a wire rack over paper towels. Let cool.
For the Glaze.
1 Cup Powdered Sugar
1⁄2 teas. Vanilla
1⁄4 teas. Salt
2 Tbsp. Milk
- In a medium flat bottomed bowl whisk together the Powdered Sugar, Vanilla, Salt and Milk.
- Put a doughnut into the glaze on one side and then place it back onto the wire rack glaze side up.
- Let sit until the glaze is set, about 5 minutes.