Early Detection for Successful Oral Cancer Care in Kannapolis, NC
Oral cancer is a dangerous ailment that must be detected early for successful treatment. Many individuals may not notice any symptoms of oral cancer at all, even if they have it. You can protect yourself by receiving regular oral cancer screenings.
During your visual oral cancer screening, Dr. Wells will:
- Examine the tongue and the insides of the mouth.
- Look for red or white patches and sores.
- Touch the tissues of the mouth to discover any lumps.
- Check for any other abnormalities that may indicate a problem.
If Dr. Wells does discover something she is concerned about, she will direct you to further testing, so we can begin treatment as soon as possible.
Not all patients experience symptoms of oral cancer until the disease has progressed, but some signs of oral cancer include:
- Unusual changes in the gums, tongue, or throat.
- Pain in the ear, mouth, or face.
- Pain or discomfort while swallowing.
- Appearance of ulcers or sores in the mouth.
- Red or white patches in the mouth.
- Chronic bad breath or a bad taste in mouth.
- Enlarged neck lymph nodes.
Remember, the earlier the disease is diagnosed, the easier, more affordable, and more successful treatment will be. Adults should receive oral cancer screenings yearly.
How is Oral Cancer Treated?
Oral cancer treatment will vary based on the type of disease and unique needs of the patient. The patient may require lesion removal, surgeries, or medications.
You may choose to perform self oral cancer exams regularly at home for additional assurance. When you become familiar with the structures of your mouth, you should be able to recognize a new lesion or patch. If you notice any changes in your mouth, call Dr. Wells right away.
Let Us Help You Protect Your Health!
It is possible to overcome oral cancer with early diagnosis and effective treatment. When is the last time you received a screening? Call First Impressions to schedule your visit today.